Saturday, November 14, 2009

Blast from the past

Hi! Here's a quick progress report, by request, on what's working its way through the Nodeka creation pipeline and how far it's gotten.

Last week, I inquired if anyone talented with the pen would be interested in helping me out with room/mob descriptions (one of the bigger "busywork" obstacles for me in releasing an area, as it tends to take me a long time to tweak these). Several people responded (and thank you all for your willingness!); one of those players is now helping me with the Fields of Guidance descriptions and should get back to me this weekend. Once I manage to integrate those, the Fields should be just about releasable.

For the rest of the players who responded, I may be tapping your talent in the future given the numerous areas I have in the pipeline; I'll work it out via e-mail when the time comes, and thanks again! =)

In the meantime, I've been working out the details of a certain new in-game system which underlies a lot of the new content. One of the challenges in designing new content is the reward aspect - once the "new toy" sheen wears off, how do you keep this content relevant to the players? The current setup of the Ruushi Invasion is a good example of a failure on my part to set up a compelling reward system (compounded by the fact that numbers correlate to success in the current setup, exaggerating the inertia of increase/decline in participants). This is a mistake I don't want to make with the future content, and so I'm cleaning up this particular in-game system to interlock with the next few areas' reward structures.

What is this in-game system precisely? I'll talk about it more next week, hopefully after the Fields of Guidance have been released. For now, I'll just leave you with this indecipherable gibberish: ra znv yd sji. =)

15 comments:

  1. now i know who wrote all those silly incantations on nodeka :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't even know if i should bother trying to decipher that! :P

    -Argh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if it's based on the Nodeka spell cypher(the thing that converts the spell's name into either the chant or the incantation)

    This is what I got so far:

    If cast: 'N* *** SG KBF'
    If invoked: 'RA *** S* *DX'

    Doesn't make much sense either way. Also, not every letter is converted into another letter. Some letters get turned into spaces, or if they occur at the end of the last word, they are simply dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about them updates....... That should have been implented weeks ago. Feel free to use this as an excuse as to why they aren't. I mean the whole 3 seconds it takes to read it is definitely the difference between an update being added and not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to love how its the ones who hide behind Anonymous who make posts loaded with sarcasum!

    Of course thats the correct way to motivate Whim to your cause, so please feel free to continue to slow him down with your tattle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your impatience, and I feel bad that I can't do weekly updates right now, AND I try not to take "passionate" arguments too much to heart because there's usually a good truth behind it. Having said that, Serenity is correct as well - being a jerk to someone is pretty ineffective motivation.

    For those who haven't heard it from me online, I'm *extremely* swamped with non-Nodeka responsibilities right now, and I won't be able to do much implementation until the pileup is over. Luckily, my vacation starts at the end of next week, and you should be seeing some extreme update love then, just in time for the holidays. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's a nice guess, Fenulia, but the clue has nothing to do with the Nodeka spell cypher. Good try though! =) It's something more exciting, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More exciting than balderdash? More exciting than what happens after you eat a full can of pringles? More exciting than driving an ice shard through Meier's skull and then slapping around some Koj(say it isn't so)?

    Whim is this updating going to make me class change? If so I would like to know before I dump more practices in :) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's re-animated Har'luth members with super powers isn't it? I figured it out, great, good, awesome. RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since when has an actual update made you class change? You change more often than I change my underwear

    ReplyDelete
  11. I generally change if there is a super cool update people are wondering about. I'd also change if it would get Warlocks like you know removed :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like me? there are Warlocks like me? What is wrong with 'ME'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was actually supposed to be read as, ".. if it would get Warlocks like... you know... removed" sorry for my fail at english. Lub joo k bye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not everyone here speaks American. Like, you know, foreigners. eeehehehehe!!!! (it's at once dirty and hilarious to refer to anyone as "foreigner" on the intarnetz.)

    ReplyDelete